As counter-intuitive as this may seem, you can register with the Direct Marketing Association of South Africa (DMSA) to have your name placed on their "Don't Contact Me" database. Now that sure sounds appealing. So, how does it work?
Apparently, all companies involved in Direct Marketing, according to law, are meant to be registered with this association. They are also therefore meant to not contact any people who have chosen to not be contacted. Obviously there are companies that either do not register with the DMSA or simply ignore this - but hey, the only way to stop them will be the "Hello...No Thanks...Bye" method. But for the rest, this should do the trick and drop those irritating calls down significantly.
Great...so how do you get your name on the "STOP CONTACTING ME NOW" list? Simple.
1. Head on over to the DMSA website Opt Out Page
2. Click the link that takes you to the "Opt Out Register"
3. Fill in the form...it's scary but the only way...giving them all your details
4. Click "Add to List"
5. You will get redirected to a page that says
7. You will finally see the GOOD NEWS...
- You have been successfully registered on this database. None of the DMA members will be allowed to contact you in the future.
To the sound of the Halleluhah chorus, you will now sing a song of Joy...and do a dance....From this day forth you should get less irritating calls just when you sit down to enjoy your evening meal :-)
If for some reason you don't have access to the Internet - which is strange considering you're reading this ;-) but do not fear you can also remove your name by SMSing;
DMA followed by your ID number